Website Ten Thousand Villages Evanston
Think Local, Help Global
The story of Ten Thousand Villages Evanston began in May 1997 with 1400 square feet and two managers. As our fair trade supporters grew, we doubled our retail space in 2002.
After 23 years on Main street, we moved into a large space on Chicago Avenue. We’ve continued to grow by building our own e-commerce site and opening a satellite location at The Painted Tree Marketplace in Naperville, IL.
Since 1997, our sales of Fair Trade goods have tripled, making us one of the largest Ten Thousand Villages stores in the country translating into vital fair income for hundreds of disadvantaged artisans around the world.
Join our team of dedicated and motivated Fair Trade retail professionals and wonderful volunteers. We seek a proven retail manager who has demonstrated the ability to build sales across all channels. Experience in the Fair Trade space is not an absolute requirement, but proven experience in retail excellence is an absolute must. Come join us as we continue to grow our Fair Trade mission!
MANAGER, TEN THOUSAND VILLAGES IN EVANSTON
The Manager will commit to the following philosophy adopted by the Board of Directors of Ten Thousand Villages in Evanston, Inc.:
· To participate in the worldwide programs of Ten Thousand Villages and other non-profit Alternative Trade Organizations by selling merchandise produced by artisans and other workers in developing countries.
· To operate a Ten Thousand Villages store (TTVE or the “Store”) in Evanston, Illinois, with operations largely conducted through the efforts of volunteers.
· To build on our history as a faith-based organization by raising community awareness of and concern for:
· Initiatives for justice, peace, and intercultural, ecumenical and inter-religious understanding of the need for economic justice for artisans and other workers in developing countries
· The support of sustainable economic development and use of technology in a way that protects the environment, both locally and globally.
Essential Job Functions:
The Manager will be responsible for the success of the TTVE retail store. The Manager will work with our team of staff, volunteers, and Board to accomplish this goal. This includes store operations, marketing and publicity, off-site operations, special events, and recruiting and training volunteers for the store and other TTVE leadership roles. The Manager will be responsible for having in-depth product/artisan knowledge, in order to maintain and disseminate the TTVE knowledge and mission to the store staff, store volunteers, and most importantly in order to lead efforts to communicate to and educate the greater Evanston area and surrounding communities regarding the fair trade mission of TTVE.
Specific Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Program Development and Administration
· Works with the board in developing long range strategies and programs, organizational and financial plans, and carries out plans and policies authorized by the board
· Promotes active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of TTVE’s work
· Works with the board and officers to maintain official records and documents to ensure compliance with all regulations and required reports
· Communicates with the board chairperson and board on a regular basis.
· Supports the board and treasurer in the timely development of the budget and the production of timely and appropriate financial reports.
· Monitors sales and expenses and assists in the reporting of store performance on a monthly basis as related to the annual budget set by the board
· Is the administrator of the employee benefit plan
· Reviews risks and secures appropriate business insurance programs.
Marketing and Communications
· Manages the image and message of Ten Thousand Villages in Evanston in the following ways:
o Co-develops annual marketing plan with marketing committee and ensures its effective implementation.
o Ensures that data to support market analysis is maintained and reviewed on a regular basis.
o Ensures the development and implementation of programs to educate board, staff, volunteers, local organizations and the larger public as to the mission and philosophy of the store.
o Develops, maintains, and uses contact with the larger public, including TTV network, external fair trade and community organizations, to advance our mission and meet sales targets.
· Recruits, hires and evaluates employees in compliance with the employee handbook.
· Identifies training objectives and provides opportunities for training.
· Creates and maintains staff job descriptions.
· Ensures the recruitment, training and supervision of volunteers.
· Evaluates effectiveness of the volunteer program
Building and Equipment:
· Ensures implementation and maintenance of effective business and information systems, including Point of Sale system
· Assists the board of directors in lease negotiations and ensures compliance with lease, subject to the annual review of the BOD
· Ensures the building and Store space meet safety, security, cleanliness and appearance standards and arranges for the timely repair and upgrade of the building space when required.
Inventory and Visual Merchandising:
· Ensures that adequate inventory control systems are in place and reviews inventory levels and ordering processes
· Identifies and selects alternate vendors.
· Reviews placement, positioning and price point of inventory in compliance with Ten Thousand Villages standards and to maximize sales
· Ensures visual merchandising standards are implemented and maintained to maximize sales
Policies and Procedures:
· In conjunction with the board, develops and maintains Best Practice policies for Store operations. These include, but are not limited to: employee handbook; volunteer handbook; operations manual; and financial practices that encompass bookkeeping, accounting, inventory control and POS.
· Ensures compliance with all Store policy and the contract with Ten Thousand Villages–US.
Off-site and Special On-site Programs:
· Manages the scheduling and prioritizing of off-site and special on-site events to meet the sales targets and strategic goals based on selection criteria
· Ensures that individual events are planned and executed to not adversely affect in-store retail standards and to enhance the mission through education, volunteer recruitment and increased store traffic.
· ·Interest in and commitment to the values and mission of Ten Thousand Villages
· ·At least 2 years retail management experience
· ·Experience with budget preparation
· ·Experience with Point of Sale, budget and accounting systems
· ·Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with employees, board, volunteers, customers, community partners, and others
· ·Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
· ·Flexibility to work evening and weekend retail hours
· ·Occasional travel for initial and continuing training and education
· ·Experience recruiting and training staff and volunteers
· ·Bachelor’s degree in Business, Retail Management or related field preferred
The Manager reports to: Board of Directors (collectively), supervised directly by chairperson and in coordination with the personnel committee. He/She is a member of the personnel and finance committees and serves as a resource to other committees as needed or requested by the committees.
The Manager Supervises: All other staff, interns, and volunteers.
Salary range: $42K – 48K annually depending on experience.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.smartrecruiters.com.