Website Ten Thousand Villages
About the job
The Sales Director leads the strategic initiatives of and provides direction and leadership for all Ten Thousand Villages sales channels, with the overall objective of growing sales to meet both short and long-term organizational goals. This key leadership position must be an effective communicator and collaborator; someone who can clarify and build understanding of the Ten Thousand Villages sales strategy while partnering with colleagues throughout the organization to achieve the shared goal of providing opportunities for our artisan partners around the world to earn a fair income.
Current sales channels are:
- two retail channels: E-commerce and Company Stores; and
- two wholesale channels: Board Stores (branded licensed stores) and Alliance accounts (non-branded wholesale accounts)
This position supports and contributes to the Ten Thousand Villages mission by:
Providing strategic leadership to all sales channels, resulting in sales and margin growth, and ultimately, increased purchases from artisans partners.
- Attend and actively contribute to all Leadership Team meetings.
- With the Leadership Team, participate in strategic planning to establish and carry out organizational goals, policies, and procedures.
- Participate in annual budget process and decision making related to the organization’s strategic goals and priorities.
- Adopt and exemplify Ten Thousand Villages values; encourage and recognize these values in colleagues throughout the organization.
Strategic Sales Leadership
- Understand the needs of the marketplace and build and execute strategies to adapt.
- Lead the development and implementation of sales plans across all channels. This includes identifying, measuring, and achieving key metrics and ensuring consistency of execution among all branded channels.
- Supervise a medium number of direct reports. Hire, train, coach, develop, motivate direct reports, and hold them accountable for achieving results.
- Work with sales channel managers to manage expenses while maximizing sales opportunities which meet or exceed budgeted sales and gross margin targets.
- Set and implement performance standards and metrics for channel leaders; while developing viable solutions to market changes; hold channel leaders accountable to channel performance and organizational values.
- Ensure effective and adequate support structures for all sales channels.
- Take the lead role in developing sales plans with Home Office partners (Brand & Marketing, Merchandising) by representing the sales channel realities and developing creative solutions to overcoming challenges and lead the execution of strategies in all sales channels.
- In conjunction with the IT Director, drive continuous improvement in technology to support all sales channels, including reporting and point-of-sale technology.
- Evaluate the viability and locations of Ten Thousand Villages Company Store brick-and-mortar presence.
- Meet regularly with the Board Store Council to understand their concerns, keep them aware of Ten Thousand Villages initiatives, and work at ways to strengthen Board Store health.
- Hold Board Stores and Ten Thousand Villages accountable to the Brand Licensing Agreement. Proactively communicate Ten Thousand Villages strategy and vision, maintain healthy relationships, and navigate resolution when there are concerns with Agreement terms.
- Ensure that qualitative data (store experiences and hypotheses) are being shared and considered alongside quantitative data in driving merchandising and planning decisions and strategies.
- Perform additional duties/responsibilities as requested which contribute to the position’s success and the organizational mission.
- Bachelors’ degree related to business administration and/or marketing or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 8 years of direct and current experience in brick-and-mortar retail, E-commerce, and/or wholesale management at a senior level, including in a multi-channel retail management environment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, mentor, and empower a successful team.
- Proven past performance achieving and exceeding sales and gross margin goals.
- Proven ability to work well with colleagues and diverse groups of stakeholders to build partnerships with the goal of uniting in support of organizational goals.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team in achieving business goals and taking ownership of sales planning and budgets, performance metrics, and reporting.
- Excellent communication, motivational, networking, prioritizing, creative problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Ability to champion a culture of selling within the sales department.
- Results driven with ability to multitask and prioritize a workload for self and team as well as develop and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency in technology relevant to retailing and business management.
- Experience working with or participating in non-profit, volunteer-based or grassroots-supported organizations; international experience and/or global understanding a plus.
Location: Home Office in Akron, PA with hybrid option
Working Hours: Full-time, exempt; travel required
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.