Website Dean's Beans Organic Coffee Company
Dean’s Beans Organic Coffee Company is a family-owned certified organic, fair trade coffee roaster and social enterprise located in Orange, Massachusetts. Our mission is to use high-quality specialty coffee as a vehicle for progressive change throughout the coffeelands. Our business is characterized by an unyielding commitment to ethical business practices, people-centered development, and sound ecological practices. This socially just business model is unique in the coffee industry, and widely recognized for integrating activism, advocacy and development. We became a certified B Corporation in 2018, solidifying our business as a force for good.
We are now hiring a full-time, salaried Associate Director of our International Advocacy and People-Centered Development Program. This position will work in our US-based office, but will travel frequently to meet with our coffee cooperative partners around the globe. Our current international development programs range from public health, gender equity, and microloan programs to combating climate change. This position will be supervised by and work directly with Dean Cycon, CEO. The successful candidate must be a fast-learner, have a strong work ethic and embrace diversity and challenges. This person must also be professional, approachable, self-motivated and have a sense of humor.
We will look to the Associate Director of our International Advocacy and People-Centered Development Program to:
- maintain, organize, and evolve our current international projects;
- expand our regional and national advocacy efforts;
- and bring awareness about our mission and work to the international development community, the coffee industry, our coffee customers, and to the general public.
- Visiting farming communities, and engaging in the People-Centered Development approach to identify and prioritize development initiatives using our appreciative inquiry techniques
- Participating in the creation of programs to address the identified priorities, including budgeting and partnerships
- Identifying and working with “Approved Allies” (regional and local NGO’s and activist groups)
- Facilitating the creation of projects, including assisting in finding local training resources where needed
- Maintaining contact with farming communities, including gathering ongoing information and updates
- Documenting work and developing framework for measuring impact
- Writing project reports, blog entries, program-centered marketing pieces, and social media posts when relevant
- Organizing in-house program documents, and creating systems for program implementation and maintenance
- Developing regional or national advocacy work in the USA through our recently-established Sweet Justice® program. Past advocacy work includes GMO-labeling, pregnant workers fairness, pipeline and other environmental issues.
- Lecturing at universities, and participating in social justice and fair trade forums around the country
Required Qualifications & Experience:
- Experience working on the ground in the field of International Development
- Willingness to and passionate about travel in Asia, Africa and the Americas
- Fast learner
- Sound decision making skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Proven attention to detail
- Exceptional work ethic
- Positive attitude
- Sense of humor
- Resourceful and takes initiative
- Flexibility and resourcefulness when faced with competing and changing priorities
- Strong computer and organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficient in Spanish, including conversation and writing
- Microsoft Office
- Google Products
- Experience with photography preferred
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Full health insurance coverage and deductible reimbursement
- Vacation time and paid holidays
- Generous retirement package including 401k and Life Insurance
- All the coffee you can drink!
To apply for this job please visit deansbeans.com.